Travel - Nature - Close up - Black & White - Fine Art - "My Antique"

Saturday 18 June 2011

My white Hell

When I came back from the Norwegian Barents Sea, I had to drive through the mountains again. One day earlier when I arrived, the road was clean, so no problem. A day later on the way back,  it started to snow already at the coast. The snow was wet, so I was not worried. But when I came to the mountains, my "white hell" was starting. The wind got stronger and the snow got thicker all the time. The weather came that bad, that I hardly couldn't see where to drive. That north up in Norway there are no trees or bushes growing anymore, so everything was white. The sky, the ground, the road; just white. REAL WHITE. I had to use my sunglasses, my eyes were getting snow blind already. The wind was throwing snow to my side window, could not see a thing to my left...I hardly could drive faster then 20 - 30 km / hour. The roads were not cleaned and it had about 15 cm of snow, some places the wind had brought more and formed already snow hills on the road. I was thinking: Je..s, how the hell I will manage? In that area there is no mobile network, so you can't call if something goes wrong. Didn't see any other car for hours as well. I also could not turn the car, so the only option was to continue. Driving with the camper which is rather heavy, is a tricky thing when it's slippery. If you loose speed, the car will not move anymore through that thick snow. Few times I got almost stucked, but every time for some reason the tires (luckily still winter tires) found some grip again. This nightmare lasted for 40 long kilometers.... I was praying all the time, please let me see black asphalt! Please....! And then the first black piece came.... Thank god!

No comments:

Post a Comment